Kick Ass

Post by The Universe on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpXHqnGDXo

Kick Ass looks....Kick Ass...

Gonna see it first day out.

Matthew O'Connell says: (3:13:42 AM)
"YOU CAN'T EVEN ASK YOUR PENIS ITS NAME!"
~°∆°[[Bizz] says: (9:24:45 PM)
You guys, I am stalking a girl from Spain.
Wist says: (9:25:06 PM)
Me too.
Lyle wrote:The song was one big saxophone solo and it has a girl dressed up like Santa Claus.

I'm so on board with this, it's not even funny.
The Universe
Exodus

Grade : 6355
Charm : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Kick Ass

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 am

Not to shit on TLS's parade, but I'm going to shit on his parade.

I'm honestly not interested in the movie at all. For one, it's been pretty hyped up. Virtually every movie I've seen for the past 6 months has had an advertisement for this movie (With the exception of, thankfully, 'How to train your dragon'. I hardly think 7 year olds should be exposed to a movie called 'Kickass'. At least not without severe clarification.). So the hype alone leads me astray.

Another reason is that the writing, while looking like it would be funny, seems pretty pointless. It's the same thing family guy does. While the show may be 'entertaining', it's not exactly funny, and most certainly doesn't have a point. The latter of which is more important. Good writing is about sending an underlying message, preferably a good one. And while you can get away with bad writing in say, a horror movie, good writing is integral in a comedy. Bad writing means bad dialogue, which means bad jokes, which means it's not funny, which means it's stupid. Thus, the movie goes from being a comedy, to being a stupid series of flashing lights to keep you distracted for approx 2 hours.

The final reason, and probably the pettiest is: the little girl.
Honestly, what the hell is with little girls in the entertainment industry nowadays? It was one thing back in the day when we didn't expect a little girl to jump out of a corner and tear someone's flesh off. Or when we didn't expect them to counter a punch and then go on with beating the shit out of 30 armed guards with only their bare fists, but the idea has been beaten over our heads so many times that it's not unexpected, and thus loses it's shock value. Which was all the idea was in the first place. A shock. A twist. And like any twist or any shock, once you start doing it all the time, it loses it's value and becomes just stupid.
An interesting twist would be for the guard to beat the shit out of the kid. Though that would be promoting immoral activity.

Despite all the bullshit I spewed in this topic, it's not really directed at Kickass itself. It's directed at the movie industry as a whole. This movie itself probably won't be bad, but combine the hype with how it's got nearly no new idea for intelligent writing to it's name and the movie just degrades itself. It was the same thing with Avatar. Though Kickass doesn't seem nearly as pretentious.

Though, I'm an open critic. If I was forced to go see the movie I would keep an open mind while watching it. There's always a chance that it would surprise me and actually have an important message about friendship, or love, or something like that, but I'm 80% certain that it will not.

My advice: Spend the money you would have spent on this and go buy Zombieland. Cause it's gonna be the same type of thing, but Zombieland will have a much better story, characters, and overall better writing.

*Flushes.*

RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Favorite Tales Game : Symphonia
Grade : 19700
Charm : 493

Back to top Go down

Post by Rise: The Game on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:37 am

Im definitely seeing it, because I read the comics, and they were ball bustingly AMAZING. So i just wanna see how it is in movie form

Admin

Favorite Tales Game : VS
Grade : 27962
Charm : 804

http://www.taleschronicles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Universe on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Wakka Wakka Wakka wrote:Not to shit on TLS's parade, but I'm going to shit on his parade.

I'm honestly not interested in the movie at all. For one, it's been pretty hyped up. Virtually every movie I've seen for the past 6 months has had an advertisement for this movie (With the exception of, thankfully, 'How to train your dragon'. I hardly think 7 year olds should be exposed to a movie called 'Kickass'. At least not without severe clarification.). So the hype alone leads me astray.

Another reason is that the writing, while looking like it would be funny, seems pretty pointless. It's the same thing family guy does. While the show may be 'entertaining', it's not exactly funny, and most certainly doesn't have a point. The latter of which is more important. Good writing is about sending an underlying message, preferably a good one. And while you can get away with bad writing in say, a horror movie, good writing is integral in a comedy. Bad writing means bad dialogue, which means bad jokes, which means it's not funny, which means it's stupid. Thus, the movie goes from being a comedy, to being a stupid series of flashing lights to keep you distracted for approx 2 hours.

The final reason, and probably the pettiest is: the little girl.
Honestly, what the hell is with little girls in the entertainment industry nowadays? It was one thing back in the day when we didn't expect a little girl to jump out of a corner and tear someone's flesh off. Or when we didn't expect them to counter a punch and then go on with beating the shit out of 30 armed guards with only their bare fists, but the idea has been beaten over our heads so many times that it's not unexpected, and thus loses it's shock value. Which was all the idea was in the first place. A shock. A twist. And like any twist or any shock, once you start doing it all the time, it loses it's value and becomes just stupid.
An interesting twist would be for the guard to beat the shit out of the kid. Though that would be promoting immoral activity.

Despite all the bullshit I spewed in this topic, it's not really directed at Kickass itself. It's directed at the movie industry as a whole. This movie itself probably won't be bad, but combine the hype with how it's got nearly no new idea for intelligent writing to it's name and the movie just degrades itself. It was the same thing with Avatar. Though Kickass doesn't seem nearly as pretentious.

Though, I'm an open critic. If I was forced to go see the movie I would keep an open mind while watching it. There's always a chance that it would surprise me and actually have an important message about friendship, or love, or something like that, but I'm 80% certain that it will not.

My advice: Spend the money you would have spent on this and go buy Zombieland. Cause it's gonna be the same type of thing, but Zombieland will have a much better story, characters, and overall better writing.

*Flushes.*

Meh, I read the comics, I liked the trailer and I'm gonna see it no matter what some twit on the internet says.

Also, Buy Zombieland?

Bitch please, I've had it for weeks.

Matthew O'Connell says: (3:13:42 AM)
"YOU CAN'T EVEN ASK YOUR PENIS ITS NAME!"
~°∆°[[Bizz] says: (9:24:45 PM)
You guys, I am stalking a girl from Spain.
Wist says: (9:25:06 PM)
Me too.
Lyle wrote:The song was one big saxophone solo and it has a girl dressed up like Santa Claus.

I'm so on board with this, it's not even funny.
The Universe
Exodus

Grade : 6355
Charm : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh. I didn't know it was originally a comic. That changes things.

I mean, at least the creator didn't intend for it to be a complete sellout movie thing. At least not initially.

RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:23 pm

So I saw this movie. I didn't really want to. But I did, cause my friends wanted to.

And I'll admit that I was a bit harsh on the movie. Overall.

There were enough scenes in it that made me cringe to make my argument valid. But Kickass wasn't as bad as all that. There were parts of it that were good.

But I gotta say, until the very last scene, it didn't feel like the main character was even that important. In fact, the main villain seemed like the main character of the story more than anything.

There were a couple of things that immediately screamed to me that the movie was going to be bad:

-Badass little girl: an overused idea that has long since become a bad one.

-Nick Cage: An actor who wasted all his money on crap and is not bankrupt.

-Stupid romance plot: It moved way to fast. And the blatant sex scenes were a bit much. A kind of distraction on how crappy the sideplot was. Also, the girl was a bimbo and a slut. So I had a hard time having any feelings for her. I didn't even find her that hot personally.

Positive things:

-Overall a good message. Well-rounded characters. Cept for the bimbo girlfriend. And the black guy, but that was cause he needed far more screentime.

-While some of the jokes were a bit out of place in certain scenes, it did give a kind of sense that even though the mob guys were mob guys, they were still normal people. Though, when a guy is getting his fingers clipped off in the other room, it's hard to take things seriously when they're talking about what to get at the consession stand at the movies later.

Overall, I have to give the movie a bad rating though. It's very on the fence, but the conclusion came fairly rapidly, leaving little time to develop on what happened to every character. But the worst part of all is that they set up for a sequel.

Also, I don't know what happened to him, but there was a guy who looked like Nathan Lane. I kinda liked him, but after one scene he never showed up again.

RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SHSL Gang Leader on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Welp I saw the thing

I thought the writing and premise were done pretty well.
Looked like they were aiming for maximum realism, which they...usually managed to pull off.

I'd have said the thing was great, if not for one thing: I was deeply disturbed whenever someone was killed. And people got killed a lot
I was so disturbed it actually hampered my enjoyment of the thing. I guess it was because of the focus on realism but still, that's pretty embarrassing

Catbread Corner!

Thank you Myra-Avalon for my avatar
SHSL Gang Leader
Exodus

Favorite Tales Game : Graces
Grade : 10730
Charm : 566

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 pm

The killing was a bit over the top.

Especially since some of the people weren't even that bad of people. One guy was actually helping the little girl. Sure he was working for the mafia, but did he deserve to get his face shot open and then killed?

RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SHSL Gang Leader on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Auron wrote:The killing was a bit over the top.

Especially since some of the people weren't even that bad of people. One guy was actually helping the little girl. Sure he was working for the mafia, but did he deserve to get his face shot open and then killed?
Oh god I remember that guy

After he got shot in the mouth he was writhing around on the floor.
I was thinking:

"Well, at least she didn't kill that guy. He doesn't deserve-"

*BANG*

"Never mind."

Catbread Corner!

SHSL Gang Leader
Exodus

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. He may have been a criminal, but he was helping a little girl. So the bullet to the mouth was justified, I suppose, but killing him off? Extreme. It's not justified revenge if you kill in cold blood even the people who are on the janitorial staff. That makes you almost as big of dicks.

RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SHSL Gang Leader on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:44 pm

There's a piece on Kotaku about some of the issues this move raises if you're into that kind of thing.
To be reductive, violence is a way to score points or to accomplish goals. As a result, violence in games can almost always be interpreted as funny and in most games pain is just a mathematical value with little affective response from the characters or player.
Ha
I wish

Catbread Corner!

SHSL Gang Leader
Exodus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rise: The Game on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Catbread wrote:There's a piece on Kotaku about some of the issues this move raises if you're into that kind of thing.
To be reductive, violence is a way to score points or to accomplish goals. As a result, violence in games can almost always be interpreted as funny and in most games pain is just a mathematical value with little affective response from the characters or player.
Ha
I wish

Either those guys are soulless, have never played a good RPG, or both.

Admin

Favorite Tales Game : VS
Grade : 27962
Charm : 804

http://www.taleschronicles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down