Tales Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suckerpunch

4 posters

Go down

Suckerpunch Empty Suckerpunch

Post by Arc Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:59 pm

I saw this last week and forgot to write something about it here.

For the TLDR people here:
Spoiler:

Else:

It's a movie geared toward nerdy teens, or at least that's who would appreciate it the most. It has overall bad reviews from professional critics but I liked it and so did my GF.

The story's original, it's about this teen girl who is put into an asylum by her asshole stepdad. All the other girls in the institute are pretty crazy, but the main character Babydoll (nickname) retains her sanity because she is not crazy, just unlucky. Everything in the asylum is run by an orderly who has dominance over the doctors, staff and obviously patients. That BAMF essentially prostitutes the girls to wealthy clients and that's how he keeps control. Babydoll forms a plan to escape, and gets help from these 4 other inmates.

The actioney scenes all take place inside Babydoll's head. When she dances for everyone else, they show them instead of her dancing. They serve as an allusion for whatever jailbreak-related task she has planned. For instance, stealing the map of the hospital from the orderly is depicted as the 5 of them fighting a bunch of armored soldiers with guns and mechas. There's alot going on, because the point of view keeps changing. Since everyone has a different view, its reflected here. The crazy girls see everything as lavish and gaudy whereas Babydoll sees things for as they really are. I liked that aspect because it reminded me of bioshock 2 when you played as the little sister briefly.

The movie's visually stunning, and thank fucking god its not 3D (i feel like it would have been ruined honestly). Plus for all of the dream sequences they remixed old music and newer music and it all REALLY fit the scene. Soundtrack was top tier. I'm not familiar with any of the cast but they all did a pretty nice job. Overall the art direction was great.

The ending may surprise you, I will not spoil things. So go see this movie, even if you wait for it to come out on demand or netflix. I think you guys would like it.
Arc
Arc
Art Mod
Art Mod

Favorite Tales Game : Symphonia
Grade : 8626
Charm : 274

Back to top Go down

Suckerpunch Empty Re: Suckerpunch

Post by Rise: The Game Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 pm

saw it. was weird as fuck and would make no sense to anyone who isnt a nerd/into games and anime.

it didnt even make sense to me. lol
Rise: The Game
Rise: The Game
Admin
Admin

Favorite Tales Game : VS
Grade : 29889
Charm : 805

http://www.taleschronicles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arc Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:40 am

its easy to miss things in here. i'm sure I did too.
Arc
Arc
Art Mod
Art Mod

Grade : 8626
Charm : 274

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

I didn't actually see the movie, I saw a review of it on Red Letter Media, but even from just watching the trailer I knew what it was:

If you're going in expecting a great movie, you'll be disappointed. If you're going in expecting mind-numbing action and tits, you'll like it.

What got me is that I heard that the director thought it was a female empowerment film. To which I just lol'd.
RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Grade : 21626
Charm : 493

Back to top Go down

Post by TLS Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 pm

I think Lyle's underetimating it a bit, it's a lot like Watchmen in that it can work on two levels.

On the one hand if you go in expecting a mind-fucky animeesque movie about hot girls killing samurai and herr kaisers you'll get you're moneys worth and then some.

But it also works as a metaphor for dreams and the power of escapism.

Oh, Also that ending...what the fuck that ending.
TLS
TLS
God General
God General

Favorite Tales Game : Vesperia
Grade : 7730
Charm : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:06 pm

I liked Watchmen. Didn't he do 300 too? Didn't like that so much.

I'm sure Suckerpunch is fine. But I wouldn't expect too much out of it. It's certainly not like Zombieland, where people will talk about it for years after.

Suckerpunch will be forgotten probably by the end of next month.
But again, I wasn't expecting it to be.
RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
RESSURECTED LYLE DAYEK
Admin
Admin

Grade : 21626
Charm : 493

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content