Tales Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kinds of games do you like best?

+2
Kilvas
SHSL Gang Leader
6 posters

Go down

What kinds of games do you like best? Empty What kinds of games do you like best?

Post by SHSL Gang Leader Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Cause I realized that all my favorite games have at least three of these qualities:
-Action
-Simplicity
-Good writing (For me, good usually means comedic)
-Weirdness

All of 'em. Mega Man, the Mario and Zelda series, BlazBlue, Smash Bros, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy VII, LittleBigPlanet, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Metal Gear Solid, Star Ocean 3, Tales of Symphonia, Kingdom Hearts, etc.
A few games can pull off all four, like Cave Story, Psychonauts, and Katamari Damacy.

Conversely I have a hard time with lots of RPGs and strategy games cause they're slow and complicated and often hokey.
And more realistic games like military shooters or sports/racing games lack weirdness and usually good writing too, so they do not interest me and I ignore them.

How about you
What do you like about these "video game" things
SHSL Gang Leader
SHSL Gang Leader
Exodus

Favorite Tales Game : Graces
Grade : 12706
Charm : 566

Back to top Go down

What kinds of games do you like best? Empty Re: What kinds of games do you like best?

Post by Kilvas Mon May 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, most of the time, I love stategy games (FE, BKO, Pokemon, etc.) But I also like a good story, not a story that drags on forever, or one that's overly-dramatic.
But sometimes I like fighting games that are fun with friends, some of which have a bit of strategy and/or teamwork to 'em (PokeRumble, L4D, Brawl, Naruto Rev3).
I also love good characters, but a big female cast drives me away...
And some games which character relationships are cool. (BKO, ToS). But not so much as near love relationships, then I find it very creepy.

I think that's it.
Kilvas
Kilvas

Favorite Tales Game : Vesperia
Grade : 17841
Charm : 629

http://princesskilvas.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

What kinds of games do you like best? Empty Re: What kinds of games do you like best?

Post by Rise: The Game Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Games that require skill, and games where you can show that you are vastly superior to others. Aka Fighters and FPSes. Though I really only play L4D and some halo for FPS. Other than that, RPGS
Rise: The Game
Rise: The Game
Admin
Admin

Favorite Tales Game : VS
Grade : 29939
Charm : 805

http://www.taleschronicles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightmare Tue May 04, 2010 1:15 am

I'd play anything as long as it's a good, solid and genuinely entertaining game. Bonus points if it's cleverly designed. Even more points if it has a great soundtrack. And even more if it has other good qualities, like good writing, graphics, art style, etcetera.

The three genres I seem to play most are RPGs, Fighters and Platformers/Side-Scrollers (in no particular order).

EDIT: I guess to be more specific I look for these things in the three genres I mentioned (along with example games):

RPG: Good story; good, believable characters; great soundtrack; fun battle system; good pacing, among other things. Bonus points if it has other great/fun systems (regarding game mechanics) and fun mini-games, or things to just let you blow off some steam and fatigue after hours of playing the main story.
Example: Breath of Fire III.

Fighter: Relatively balanced cast; fast paced (but not too fast); fun, exciting and over-the-top moves; great soundtrack; awesome characters; smooth controls; overpowered bosses.
Example: King of Fighters '98.

Platformer: Cleverly designed levels; cleverly programmed enemies; nice controls; great soundtrack (lol); innovative design; pleasing art style (graphics).
Example: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Notice how all share the soundtrack requirement. Though I don't mean that games have to reach all of these requirements, they can just have one or a few and I would play them. But if they do reach them all, good for them.
Nightmare
Nightmare
Hunting Blade
Hunting Blade

Grade : 6470
Charm : 214

http://www.pingas.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kallen Kozuki Tue May 04, 2010 5:27 am

I really only like RPG's, FPS and some fighters.
Kallen Kozuki
Kallen Kozuki
Exodus

Grade : 8737
Charm : 292

Back to top Go down

Post by Emerald Jealousy Sat May 08, 2010 11:20 am

Konan wrote:I also love good characters, but a big female cast drives me away...

It would be a waste of time trying to get you to play any of the Touhou games then...

Hmmm, imma hafta think here. Oh wait. My favorite genres are RPGs, Shumps, Racing and Fighting games. But I'd usually play a game because it('s) appeals to me/relevant to my interests.

RPGs: Characters, story, random battles(although seeing the monster on the map is nice too), boss battles, music, abilities/skills/spells, treasure chests(Ahhhhn~!), towns.

Shumps: Characters/Ships, power ups, music, verticalness(horizontal ones are nice too, they also tend to be easier than the vertical ones at times), story(if there is one, Touhou has spoiled me here.).

Racing: Characters/Vehicles, courses, music(F-Zero and Mario Kart has this in spades.), backstories(if there is one for the characters, F-Zero spoiled me here.)

Fighting: Characters, stages, music, simplicity of the commands(236/214, 623, 22, etc), characters' ambitions/backstories.

Looking at this, I look for characters that I can get attached too and the music and the story(ies).
Emerald Jealousy
Emerald Jealousy
Grand Cardinal
Grand Cardinal

Grade : 5820
Charm : -163

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down